Top 7 Tips to Bounce Back from Holiday Overindulgence & Feel Your Best!
The holiday season has begun! There is so much to enjoy about this time of year, from decorations and picking out special gifts for friends and family, to holiday parties, baking, movies, and traditions. That said, with so much to do, this time of year can also prove to be quite stressful. Add in the overindulgence that is characteristic of the holidays, and it can be enough to push anyone over the edge. Now more than ever we need to make self-care a priority — with stress management at the top of the list.
The holiday season is in full effect, and there is so much to be thankful for and enjoy! That said, this time of year can also come with a downside — cold, flu, fatigue, and feeling otherwise rundown or depleted. This is due in large part to holiday overindulgence. Most of us are guilty of it, what with all of the holiday parties and meals, baking cookies, family gatherings, and other traditions. While there’s nothing wrong with splurging a bit for the holidays, we do often find ourselves not feeling well afterwards, or worse, outright sick!
This is due in large part to the impact that sugar and processed food has on us; sugar is known to block nutrient absorption and deplete our bodies of vital nutrients, including:
What’s more, as we are loading up on sugar, we are likely not taking in as many healthy, nutrient-rich foods as we otherwise might. So the question is, how can you enjoy the holidays while also promoting overall balance and health? Read on to learn more about our TOP 7 tips to make it through the holidays feelings your best, and how to bounce back after splurging.
1. High Quality Multi-Vitamins — As mentioned above, sugar depletes the body of many vital nutrients, including calcium, magnesium, chromium, and vitamins C and D. 4 Seasons Acupuncture recommends taking a high quality multi-vitamin daily. Be sure to choose one with bioavailable nutrients.
2. Get Your B12 — via injection! Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient for the body, with a role in everything from energy to DNA to the production of red blood cells. Many people are deficient in this vital nutrient, and as a result may suffer from frequent headaches, anemia, depression, appetite changes, extreme fatigue, dizziness, cognitive issues, and/or muscle weakness. It has been found that vitamin B12 is best absorbed through injections, with many potential benefits, including:
Improved Immune System Functioning
Improved Heart Health
Increased Bone Density
Peak Athletic Performance & Stamina
Contact us to schedule your next B12 injection!
3. Don’t Skip Meals — One of the biggest mistakes people make after holiday overindulgence is to punish themselves by skipping meals. This not only wreaks havoc on your metabolism, but also leads people to feel tired, cranky, and stressed. If you’ve splurged and had a high sugar/calorie meal, just resume eating healthy at the next meal. Don’t punish or reward yourself with food, aim to fuel and nourish your body and mind with balanced nutrition.
4. Support Gut Health - Incorporate high quality probiotics and bone broth into your weekly routine, especially following a big holiday meal. Research has found many benefits to consuming bone broth, especially its role in promoting gut health as well as providing highly absorbable nutrients to the body, including collagen and amino acids. Probiotics, whether in high quality supplementation or food form, replenish healthy bacterial, also promoting overall gut health.
5. Choose Wisely — ’Tis the season for holiday cookies, cocktails, pies and treats! If you’re going to splurge, be picky and choose what’s really special to you. Another good tip is to limit the amount of days you indulge, as well as the amount of days you keep leftovers and holiday sweets in the house. Give yourself a few key days for special events and extra special foods, then chuck the rest and stick to eating healthier the rest of the time. Finally, don’t go to holiday parties or events HUNGRY — eat something filling and healthy beforehand, like a lean protein paired with a healthy fat and vegetable. Don’t hang out by the food table, and when you do pick up something sweet, enjoy it slowly and mindfully.
6. Be Active— Do a quick stretch routine, go for a walk outside or around a shopping center, try a fitness class, or visit your local gym. Shift from viewing exercise as a punishment for holiday overindulgence and try looking at it as a form of self-care instead. Exercise not only helps with weight management and heart health, but is a wonderful, natural way to boost mood and promote wellbeing.
7. Try Acupuncture — Bounce back after holiday overindulgence and stress with acupuncture! This is one of the best ways to restore balance and promote wellness. Potential benefits include:
Decreased Stress & Anxiety
Improved Immune Function
Improved Digestive Functioning
Ready to feel your BEST through the holiday season? Call us at (321) 662-4871 or contact us online to schedule your Winter Park acupuncture appointment now!